Select Page

We stayed at Pinelake Campground for 2 days and then decided to begin the trek home.  Once again Highway 441 was our route of choice.  Signs of Irma were everywhere.  Trees and electrical lines were down, but thanks to the quick action of Georgia DOT, roads were mostly clear. A great example of “HI, we are the government and we are here to help.” that worked out to be true! We drove all day in and out of heavy traffic while my sweet husband conjured up evil spirits to put curses on drivers he considered to be of low intelligence and driving ability. I am glad we did not take the I-75 south route, the air inside the motorhome would still be blue, LOL.  As we traveled south there were very few communities that had electricity. Traffic lights out, gas stations with bags on the pump handles, stations that maybe did have gas but had no way to pump it.  If we got lucky and found gas we filled up!  People we met along the way waiting in gas lines were friendly and kind. What a wonderful stress reliever to talk to someone who is taking a bad situation in stride and remaining calm, kind and positive. We were all in this together after all!  Again I had cell coverage most of the day and was able to search for a campground while my husband drove. He was busy driving but still had the time to ask me 100 questions about every park I mentioned.You would think he was on a luxury vacation instead of just trying to get home to South Florida to assess damage to our property.    Late in the day, we pulled into Eagles Roost RV Resort in  Lake Park, Georgia. It is a beautiful, shady campground with large, pull-through and level sites, 30 & 50 amp hook-ups, water and sewer, pool. climate controlled bathhouse, night security, and even an adjacent flea market.  Pets are always welcome, and our two dogs, Chelsea & Candi, loved the large, shady dog walk area.  The camp store/office was really unique with lovely handcrafted jewelry and other items for sale.  The people could not have been friendlier.  Even though they were in the middle of their own cleanup, from Hurricane Irma, with a big front end loader and rakes and shovels, they were gracious and accommodating. We spent a restful night there and then headed home the next morning to see how our house fared during the hurricane.  We were very blessed and lucky because even though the road flooded to about 3 feet deep, our house was high and dry with only landscape and tree damage.  The next three days were spent clearing debris and cutting fallen trees into pieces small enough to haul away.  Considering how many people were affected by Irma, we were among the fortunate ones who recovered quickly.  Our hearts are with the many who suffered severe damage and continuing hardship as they try to piece their lives back together.